Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Kennel Quilt

OK, so this post is going to be a test of using my tablet. Let's see how it looks.

A few months ago we started a quilting group at work. We started out with a couple of string quilts funded by the company. Our next project was making kennel quilts for animals displaced by the tornados in Oklahoma. These are very small - 12x18 inches. I decided to try some more strip quilting.

Materials:
Strips of 3 or more coordinating natural fabrics
13x19inch coordinating fabric for backing
12x18inch or larger cotton batting
Coordinating thread

Prepare strips of equal width (1.5in or so). Sew 3 to 6 together along long sides. Repeat, assembling strips in a different order. Cut perpendicular to the seams in 2.5 inch widths. Nowalternate strips  from the two unique sets and reassemble. I was able to create a nice basketweave effect using this method.

To finish, I cut the assembled front and back to size, and sewed together like a pillowcade. I basted together scraps of batting, inserted, and stitched closed. I used a wavy line to quilt in order to enhance the basketweave effect. This was only my second attempt at machine quilting, and first attempt at free form. My standard walking foot was not ideal, but got the job done! What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment