Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ginger-Plum Ice Cream

We had some organic plums in the fridge that weren't getting used so I thought I should make them into an ice cream. The last ice cream we made with a custard base didn't sit too well with me (I swear I could taste the eggs) so I wanted to make a Philadelphia style ice cream. I researched a few recipes and this is what I came up with. A rich, tangy, fruit ice cream with flavors of ginger and cinnamon. Hopefully the addition of honey and rum will keep it soft until we can finish it off in the next day or two.

Ingredients
:
4 black plums, chopped
1 cup sugar

1 tsp honey

1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and diced

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk

1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla rum

2 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped


Directions:
Combine plums, ginger, sugar and honey in a saucepan and cook over medium high heat until plums are soft and sugar is absorbed. Puree in a blender or food processor and strain. Discard skins and chill puree thoroughly in the fridge (about 3 hours).


Combine puree, cream, milk, and cinnamon and whip until thickened (a blender or food processor can substitute for an electric mixer). Transfer into the bowl of your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturers instructions. With 2 minutes remaining when ice cream is almost frozen add the alcohol and chocolate. Continue to churn until chocolate is distributed throughout. Remove to a freezer safe container and store in freezer for 1 hour or until ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment